Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Mothership by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal

Mothership by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal
The Ever-Expanding Universe, book one
Simon Schuster books for Young Readers, 2012
ebook owned in personal collection

This book made me snort out loud so many times!  I'm so glad I finally read it.  It is the perfect blend of zany teen angst-y high school bullsh!t and science fiction (light). 

 Poor Elvie gives in to her teenage hormones ONE time with the hottie she doesn't really like but can't resist and ends up pregnant.  Unable to keep it from her Dad forever, she ends up being shipped off to an orbiting school for expectant mothers.  YES, you read that correctly.... a school for pregnant teens floating in outer space.  But, equipped with all the latest stuff and perfect for adding in things like underwater prenatal yoga to their days in the old cruise ships olympic size pool! All this would be fine... if Elvie wasn't also going to school with her arch-nemesis from her old high school... who happens to be pregnant too...and you guessed it - from the same guy!

Oh, and then their school gets attacked by aliens.  So, there's that! *snorts*

As I said, this book had me laughing the ENTIRE way through.  There was a great cast of characters, including a best friend who was so supportive in the best possible way that I wanted to adopt him for my own (Ducky, I love you!) and a hunky boy who turns out to be pretty decent, actually.  A Father who really cared and some other adults who end up seeing how smart Elvie is and working to be on
her side as sh!t goes South. 
Book two

Book two, A Stranger Thing is definitely on my list of things to read soon! If you like science fiction that's not too strenuous, and full of humor, more like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, I'd recommend giving this one a shot!

(Oh, and I just wanted to mention how much I love ALL of the various covers for this book... there are three shown above and I find them all funny and perfectly suited to the book in their own way! I kind of wish I could have posters of them all.)

     

No comments:

Post a Comment