Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Fragile Destiny

Fragile Destiny
by Suzanne Lazear
The Aether Chronicles, book three

Publication date: August 8, 2014 

Noli and her true love V fear the worst if the Staff of Eris—a potent Otherworld relic—falls into the wrong hands. Broken into pieces and hidden in the mortal realm long ago, the staff bestows vast powers on whoever possesses it. Ciarán, the dark king, is trying to rebuild the staff, intending to use it to install a new queen.

In a desperate effort to keep the Otherworld from falling into darkness, Noli and V plot the daring theft of a jewel Ciarán needs to complete the staff. But Ciarán is not so easily defeated. Through his devious machinations, he has set a plan in motion for a final showdown that will decide who rules the Otherworld once and for all.
(Description from Goodreads.com)

I used this description of the book from Goodreads, but honestly, I don't think it really captures the heart of the book that well.  Though it is true that there is a quest to keep the pieces of the Staff of Eris out of the wrong hands, this book is more about Noli regaining her own identity and finding her place in the Mortal and Otherworlds. 

Let me say, without getting TOO spoilery, that when Noli does find her place,...it's a doozy.  I was not expecting that, but I think that she's a strong character who acclimated well once the initial shock wore off. I loved seeing her take charge of her own life once again and return to the character that I'd loved so much in Innocent Darkness. One character I did not love in this book, though, was V. Readers will find out there's a reason why he becomes an obnoxious prig in this book, but ugh... I kind of wanted to hit him a few times. 

The only other thing I really want to say, without revealing too much, is that there MUST be a book after this! Too much is foreshadowed but not truly explored.   True we get Noli to a point where I can imagine how her story continues, but I  DESPERATELY want to read it...and more about Jeff and Vix...and Elise and her new best friend... and how Tiana might get her comeuppance in the end... there's SO much more that could be explored! 

Full disclosure: eARC received through Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment