Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Gold Star Review: The One

The One 
by Kiera Cass
The Selection, book one

The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.
(description from goodreads.com

I devoured this book.  From the moment that I picked up the first book in the series, The Selection, I've been utterly hooked.  Cass created a great dystopian setting - a future where there is a rigid caste system holds the citizens of their kingdom hostage - a fabulous main character - a spirited girl who is also compassionate and brave in the face of adversity - and a heartbreaker of a prince... Maxon, *sigh*.  

I will fully admit that I love the many different aspects of this trilogy's story.  The precarious balance the royals find themselves in, trying desperately to save their way of life.  The drama of having many girls competing to catch the eye of just one man.  The romantic bits, the scary bits, the family bits... the romantic bits.  Oh wait, did I say that already?  Yes, yes I did.  It needed saying twice. 

I desperately needed to know how this series ended.  I thought I knew but I just had to find out for sure... and HOW they would get to that place.  The journey Kiera Cass took me on was well worth the wait.  I laughed, I cried, and I grinned along the way.  I had my heart broken several times, but in the end, I was truly, joyously happy with how things turned out.  

What I loved most about this ending was that while things ended in the happy way that I wanted, it was also messy. Very much like real life.  Things were not pat and easy and unbelievable.  There was sorrow right up until the final moments mixed in... 

While I would GLADLY read a follow-up book, perhaps one following the beginning of the fallout from the book (trying to be non-spoilery here), I am happy to report that I am also fully satisfied ending where this left off.

In fact, this ending earned a coveted GOLD STAR from me. 

 

Full disclosure: Purchased on my Nook (because I couldn't wait for the Library copy, LOL!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment