Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sever

















Sever 
by Lauren DeStefano
The Chemical Garden Trilogy, book three

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain. (description from Amazon.com)

Okay, it's going to be a little tough to review this book without spoilers since it is the final book in the trilogy (check out my reviews for book one, Wither, and book two, Fever).

This whole series has left me somewhat of an emotional wreck. DeStefano's books are INTENSE.  The way that book two left off gave me shivers and I knew as soon as we got Sever into work I HAD to finish the series, reading responsibilities be damned! I even ended up cheating a little bit by flipping to the last page (WHICH I NEVER DO!) to verify that Rhine doesn't end up dying. I just couldn't take the emotional uncertainty anymore...I had to know that she made it! 

I don't want to give anything else away, but I will say there were huge highs and lows in this book and that overall this has been one of the few dystopian series lately that I have gotten heavily emotionally invested in. The whole premise felt really realistically possible and I think that I will remember these books for a long time. 

Full disclosure: Borrowed from my Library

4 comments:

  1. I liked this series. I really thought it ended well too. I was very satisfied with it. I did not skip to the end but this book totally made me want to! http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/02/sever-by-lauren-destefano-review.html

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had nearly the opposite reaction to this series, or at least to Wither. I found so many holes in the plot and characterizations that it was quite frustrating to read. I was invested enough in the characters to want to know what happened in book two, but reading a wiki that explained it all was enough for me. One of these days I'll dig up the comment(s) I sent to a friend and see what you have to say about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read the first I was very frustrated with the death at two different ages concept. As the series goes on, though more of the science is explained as Rhine learns from the scientist in her life...I'm not sure I would have been inclined to wait to understand, though, if I hadn't met Lauren DeStefano and had her assure me that explanations were coming in due time. I can totally understand if you had the same reactions!

      Delete
  3. I read Wither and most of Fever, I can't wait to finish off the series!

    ReplyDelete