Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Gold Star Review: The Queen is Dead

















The Queen is Dead
by Kate Locke
The Immortal Empire series, book two

When her brother Val gets in over his head in an investigation of Half-Blood disappearances and goes missing himself, it's up to Xandra, newly crowned Goblin Queen, to get him back and bring the atrocities to light. Xandra must frequent the seediest parts of London, while also coping with what she is, the political factions vying for her favor, and the all too-close scrutiny of Queen Victoria, who wants her head. Add this to a being a suspect in a murder investigation, a werewolf boyfriend with demands of his own, and a mother hell bent on destroying the monarchy, and Xandra barely knows which way is up. One thing she does know is that she's already lost one sibling, she's not about to lose another.

Xandra Varden is the newly crowned Goblin Queen of England. But her complicated life is by no means over.There are the political factions vying for her favor, and the all too-close scrutiny of Queen Victoria, who for some reason wants her head. Not to mention her werewolf boyfriend with demands of his own, and a mother hell bent on destroying the monarchy. Now she's the suspect in a murder investigation --- and Xandra barely knows which way is up.

What she does know is that nothing lasts forever---and immortality isn't all its cracked up to be. (description from Amazon.com

I devoured this book. I really enjoyed the first in the series, but I think as Xandra came into her own in the second it really ramped things up a notch for me. I love the steampunk vibe of this series. I love the fiesty, yet at very infrequent moments, vulnerable, main character.  I love the worldbuilding. I love the twists and turns. I love the, well, love of the series...Vex...*fans self* whew...that werewolf is HOT! 

There was not one thing that I did not enjoy about this book. I loved every minute of the audio book and I plan to reread this series at some point (which is the highest form of praise from me, as I *never* have time to reread!!) In fact, I loved this so much, I'm stamping it with a great big GOLD STAR!! 












You can check out my review for the first book, God Save the Queen, here. 
I can only hope and pray that the third book, Long Live the Queen, which is coming out in November, will be JUST as good.  

Full disclosure: Audio book received to review for AudioFile Magazine, ebook purchased for my Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment