Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Origin

Origin
by Jessica Khoury
 
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever. (description from Amazon.com) 

For all that I had been super excited to read this book (you know how I love my science fiction), there was a strange disconnect for me in this book.  It was a really interesting concept.  I love the idea of a secret, immortal girl being hidden in the jungle, but I just couldn't fully connect.  I felt like Pia was just too foreign for me. 

I actually really enjoyed her interactions with the nearby tribe.  When she would talk to Eio's "little sister," I felt Pia was at her most relatable.  While I really enjoy worldbuilding, I think too much was made, perhaps, of Pia's daily routines and it took a little long for her world to begin changing enough to fully pique my interest.  The last third of the book was a wild ride of danger and secrets and I would have loved to have gotten there sooner. 

I think I'm in the minority in my feelings for this one.  If you want to check out some other reviews, you can go here, here, here or here.

Full disclosure: ARC received at BEA 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment