Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Dirty Little Secrets



















Dirty Little Secrets
by C.J. Omololu

Everyone has a secret. But Lucy's is bigger and dirtier than most. It's one she's been hiding for years-that her mom's out-of-control hoarding has turned their lives into a world of garbage and shame. Tackling an increasingly discussed topic that is both fascinating and disturbing, C. J. Omololu weaves an hour-by-hour account of Lucy's desperate attempt to save her family. Readers join Lucy on a path from which there is no return, and the impact of hoarding on one teen's life will have them completely hooked. (description from Amazon.com)

This was a compelling, intriguing, and at moments both gross and shocking book. It's like a soap opera unfolding in front of your eyes - you see it happening, you know what's coming, and still you can't look away...you are hooked! 

My husband and I both watch Hoarders on TV.  I'll admit it. It's one of those shows you turn on and then can't turn off again. We'll watch it for hours. It's educational in a way, but it's mostly morbidly fascinating. You can't help but wonder for hours how it's possible that people actually live like that! It also has the dual  purpose of making me feel much better about how I live my life...sort of like Cops, LOL.

Anyway, this book read like watching an episode's aftermath. I could not put it down! There were moments  when I wished I could, but it was impossible. I can absolutely see now why several of  the teens in our Library had been bugging me to read this one! 

For something a little different that you won't be able to put down...try Dirty Little Secrets!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you review this book here! I think this is a really important book. It's the ONLY fiction for teenagers about this subject (or at least the last time I looked it was).
    Who knows how many kids are out there living this scenario? Resolution is a bit shocking - but realistic and possible, I think.
    Thanks, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I thought of you when I was reviewing this. I remembered you telling us all about this book, what like a year ago? I'm really glad I read it. It is an important topic, and it's written in a really accessible way for teens.

    ReplyDelete