Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Terrific Threes and Super Storytime: Dads!

So, I've decided to try something new. Some of you may know that aside from just being a blogger, I'm also a Librarian. Just before the new year, I started a new job as a Youth Services Librarian, which means that aside from just doing teen services, I'm also doing two weekly storytimes (for ages 3-5) and a monthly pajama storytime.

Since I've started doing these storytimes, I've found it immensely helpful to read the "set-up" from other storytimes on other blogs to get ideas...so I want to "pay it forward." I'm going to try to put up as many storytimes as I can so that maybe someone else will get ideas for their storytimes!

Let me know if you have any format suggestions, etc!!

This was one of the Terrific Threes and Super Storytimes I did in February.

Theme: Dads!

Opening Song: 3's - BINGO/4/5's - Heggity Peggity

*rhythmically clap hands or slap hands on legs*
Heggity Peggity bumble-bee,
won't you share your name with me,
(Child says name)
(Group repeat's child's name twice)
*repeat for entire group*
 

Read:
3's - My Dad by Anthony Browne/4's - My Dad's Job by Peter Glassman
My Father the Dog by Elizabeth Bluemle

Action Rhyme:
Here is the little boy ready for his nap              
(hold up 1 finger)
Lay him down on his daddy's lap                       
(lay finger in other palm)
Cover him up so he won't peep                         
(close hand over fingers)
Rock him til he's fast asleep                               
(rock hands)
 
       
Action Song:
5 little ducks went out one day, over the hills, far away,
Father duck said, "Quack, quack, quack, quack,"
but only 4 little ducks came back...
*repeat until you get to 1 little duck*
1 little duck went out one day, over the hills, far away,
Father duck said, "Quack, quack, quack, quack,"
but none of the little ducks came back...
Father duck went out one day, over the hills, far away,
Father duck said, "Quack, quack, quack, quack," 
and ALL of the little ducks came back!!

Read:
3's - Daddies by  Lila Prap/4's - My Dad by Anthony Browne












Flannelboard: The Pet
*A story about a child that goes to the zoo to look for a pet, and decides that Daddy makes the best "pet" of all.*
 
Action Song: My Daddy Works with One Hammer
My daddy works with one hammer, one hammer,
one hammer, (pound one fist on ground)
My daddy works with one hammer,
and now he works with two! (pound two fists on ground)
My daddy works with two hammers, two hammers,
two hammers, (pound two fists on ground)
My daddy works with two hammers,
and now he works with three! (pound two fists and stomp one foot)
My daddy works with three hammers, three hammers, 
three hammers, (pound two fists and stomp one foot)
My daddy works with three hammers,
and now he works with four! (pound two fists and stomp both feet)
My daddy works with four hammers, four hammers,
four hammers, (pound two fists and stomp both feet)
My daddy works with four hammers,
and now he needs a nap! (collapse onto ground)

Read:
The Daddy Book by Todd Parr

Dance: "I Caught Daddy Watching Cartoons" from CD, Big Rock Rooster

Craft: Collage Tie

Supplies needed:
tagboard (precut into simple tie shape)
string (precut)
collage pieces (precut) *we used old wallpaper samples*
gluesticks
single hole punch

It was so much fun to see the kids decorate these "ties" and then either wear them home or vow to make their Dads wear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment