Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First Kill


First Kill
by Heather Brewer
The Slayers Chronicles, book one

Joss McMillan’s perfect life crashes down the night he witnesses his sister’s murder — at the hands of a vampire. He then finds out his family’s secret heritage: They are part of the Slayer Society, a group whose mission is to rid the world of vampires. Joss is their new recruit. As Joss trains, bent on seeking revenge for his sister, he discovers powers that could make him the youngest, strongest Slayer in history. But there is a traitor in the Society, one whose identity would shake Joss to the core . . . if the traitor doesn’t kill him first. (description from Amazon.com)

I have to admit that I have not yet read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series. I have always wanted to check out Heather Brewer's writing style, though, since the Vlad Tod books are so popular now, and getting this book for review gave me the perfect opportunity.

I very much enjoyed the story about Joss becoming a vampire slayer.  I found the Slayer Society and their rules to be fascinating, and I hope to find out more about the larger Slayer population in book two.  Knowing that Joss' uncle, Abraham, was being so tough on him because he was hesitant to have Joss become a Slayer, made things a little easier to read when the training became brutal. 

I felt was somewhat jarring was Joss' tone, at times.  For a thirteen year old, he had some very sophisticated inner monologues.  His contemplations felt overly mature at times, but then again, he was supposed to be an avid reader and kind of nerdy, so I suppose that fit... For me, he waivered between 13 and 20 in tone, but that may not at all bother other readers.  I wonder if Vladimir Tod is the same?

I will be very curious to see if as this series continues it intersects with The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod.

Full disclosure: Audio book received to review for SLJ

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to check out Heather Brewer's books as well. Maybe 2012 will finally be the year that happens...? :)

    ReplyDelete