Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Son of Neptune


The Son of Neptune
by Rick Riordan
Heroes of Olympus, book two

In The Lost Hero, three demigods named Jason, Piper, and Leo made their first visit to Camp Half-Blood, where they inherited a blood-chilling quest:

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.


Who are the other four mentioned in the prophesy? The answer may lie in another camp thousands of miles away, where a new camper has shown up and appears to be the son of Neptune, god of the sea. . .
(description from Amazon.com)

I am so excited to have Percy back! Though I really enjoyed The Lost Hero and found Jason, Leo, and Piper's adventure exciting, there is just something so...so I'm not even sure what about Percy. As a reader, I just connect so strongly to him, that just having him as the narrator again made this book worlds better than the last.

However, there were other things I loved besides Percy. Getting to see the ins and outs of the Roman demi-god camp was awesome! Their war games, training rituals, and gods were really interesting. I love all types of mythology and I really loved how Riordan is able to make other cultures' beliefs so accessible. The comparisons between the Greek and Roman mythology felt so organic in the storyline. Very well done!

I love the foreshadowing about the two camps coming together to be part of the big prophecy. I'm also really intrigued to see what part Annabeth plays in the next book. There were some comments in this one that gave an onimous impression...

I hate that we have to wait all the way until next fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment