Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Withering Tights


Withering Tights
by Louise Rennison
The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey, book one

Wow. This is it. This is me growing up. On my own, going to Performing Arts College. This is good-bye, Tallulah, you long, gangly thing, and hellooooo, Lullah, star of stage.

Tallulah Casey is ready to find her inner artist. And some new mates. And maybe a boy or two or three.

The ticket to achieving these lofty goals? Enrolling in a summer performing arts program, of course. She's bound for the wilds of Yorkshire Dales—eerily similar to the windswept moors of Wuthering Heights. Tallulah expects new friends, less parental interference, and lots of drama. Acting? Tights? Moors? Check, check, check.

What she doesn't expect is feeling like a tiny bat's barging around in her mouth when she has her first snog. (description from Amazon.com)

While this didn't quite pack the ultimate punch for me that The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series did, it did cure my case of Georgia withdrawal! I hadn't realized how much I'd missed the funny made-up Brit slang, the not-so-made-up, but still funny Brit slang, and the wonderful teen voice that Rennison infuses her books with!

Poor Tallulah's obsession with growing corkers and getting her first snog. Her confusion when she meets some delicious looking boys, but realizes that they may make her feel, well somewhat uncomfortable...I mean, what do boys mean when they do these weird things, anyway??

Though I think that Georgia is a once in a life character, the kind that you would have trouble following, I think Tallulah stands on her own. I loved that in this series, Tallulah is just getting to know all of her friends. They each have their own quirkiness and they embrace Tallulah's, well odd behavior, wholeheartedly. I think this is the start of a great new (funny) series.

Full disclosure: Borrowed from Jen at Yabooknerd


No comments:

Post a Comment