Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Favorite Band Does Not Exist


My Favorite Band Does Not Exist
by Robert Jeschonek

Sixteen-year-old genius Idea Deity believes that he exists only in the pages of a novel written by a malevolent, omnipotent author . . . and that he will die in chapter 64. Meanwhile, an older teen named Reacher Mirage sings lead vocals for the undercover rock band Youforia . . . a band that exists in Idea’s world only as an Internet hoax that Idea himself perpetuated. Then there’s beautiful and mysterious Eunice Truant, who links their destinies. When Idea and Reacher plunge into the reality of Fireskull’s Revenant, the twisted epic fantasy novel they’ve both been reading, chapter 64 bears down on them like a speeding freight train on an unstoppable collision course. Being trapped in a bad book can be a nightmare. Just ask Idea Deity. (description taken from Amazon.com)

This was one of those rare books that I put down and I literally could not decide how I felt about it. Now, since I was formally reviewing it...that's an issue! Sadly, I've submitted my review and I'm still somewhat conflicted.

The conceptualization of this book is amazing. It's sophisticated and interesting.

The characters all have really weird names that kept distracting me.

There are sections of a book within the book that look like a different book...I both liked and hated that.

In some ways this felt over the top...but in others, all I kept comparing it to all of the things I loved about the hallucinogenic road-trip in Libba Bray's Going Bovine. The existential feeling that I got from this book was strongly reminiscent of hers...

I think that the people who like this book are actually going to LOVE it. I think it may develop a strong underground type of following. I also think that your average reader will skip right over this book...

Me? I still can't describe how it made me feel!

Full disclosure: ARC received to review for SLJ

No comments:

Post a Comment