Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group


The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
by Catherine Jinks
companion to The Reformed Vampire Support Group

When Tobias Richard Vandevelde wakes up in a hospital with no memory of the night before, his horrified mother tells him that he was found unconscious. At Featherdale Wildlife Park. In a dingo pen. He assumes that his two best friends are somehow responsible, until the mysterious Reuben turns up, claiming that Toby has a rare and dangerous “condition.” Next thing he knows, Toby finds himself involved with a strange bunch of sickly insomniacs who seem convinced that he needs their help. It’s not until he’s kidnapped and imprisoned that he starts to believe them—and to understand what being a paranormal monster really means. (description taken from Amazon.com)

I had read The Reformed Vampire Support Group a few years ago, and though I enjoyed it, I didn't really love it enough to seek out the second book. Fortunately for me, it came in the mail!

Personally, I am more partial to werewolves than vampires (in case you couldn't tell from some of my previous posts...lol) so right off the bat, I liked this book more than TRVSG. It also had a lot more action and both Toby and his werewolf mentor, Reuben sucked me right into their world. The sarcastic humor of both the characters and the situations that they get themselves into was one of the things I liked most in the first book and I was really glad to see it continued in the second.

The audio version was really well done. The narrator is an Australian actor so the accent was authentic. He did some great varied tones for different characters and boy, did he have Toby's sarcastic teen voice down pat!

I would definitely recommend this book to both werewolf fans and teen boys looking for that action adventure book with a dose of teen snark.

Full disclosure: Audio book received to review for SLJ
2011 Shifter Reading Challenge Title

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your honest thoughts. i had heard mixed things about this book, so i was a bit hesitant about reading it, but I really want to give it a try and make up my own opinion about it... you know what I mean? To my surprise, my library had a copy and I was able to get my hands on it this week :)

    Diana
    ps. i'm more of a werewolf girl, too!

    ReplyDelete