Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fallen


Fallen
by Lauren Kate
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Swiss & Cross Boarding School in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce -- and goes out of his way to make that very clear -- she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.
This book came out around the same time as Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I happened to read that one first, and had to wait forever for my name to go through the hold list at the library for Fallen. I am so glad I waited!! I was disappointed in Hush, Hush - it was too stalker-iffic feeling for me...(see my review here).
When I read Fallen I was so much happier with the relationship between Daniel and Luce. Partially it may be due to the set up...readers are clued into the fact that something goes wrong whenever Daniel and Luce are together. They have a star-crossed love. As much as Daniel treats Luce poorly at the beginning, it was obvious that it was straining him. He saves her life repeatedly and once he gives into her, they have some steamy passion!
I liked the allusions to the biblical stuff about the fallen angels and the fact that readers get the outline of a story, but not everything is yet revealed. This is definitely the set-up for more books and I LOVE IT. I cannot wait to read Torment.

No comments:

Post a Comment